Who are we?

The Personal Learning Network course is provided by the Learning Services division of the State Library of Victoria (SLV), in partnership with the School Library Association of Victoria (SLAV).

There’s a team of people involved in the day to day course provision plus many special guest stars on web conferences or real world meet-ups, including teachers and librarians.

To find us on Twitter, follow @SLVLearn.

Meet the team

Bethany LeongImage of Bethany
I am the Education Programs Coordinator at the SLV, and I am responsible for running most of our onsite school programs. We deliver programs for students from Prep to Year 12, focussing on the Library’s collections and resources. We cover a range of topics, from Victorian history to specialist workshops for research skills, and the best thing about the job is that no two days are ever the same. Some of the work I have done for the PLN covers professional development and tools for presentation and collaboration. Whenever we develop a new school program that uses technology we get to experiment with new tools – at the moment I really like Historypin, and am constantly amazed by the ever-expanding suite of Google applications that make sharing information so much simpler than before.

Cameron Hocking
I am an Education Officer at the State Library of Victoria. This involves delivering school programs, organising travelling programs, delivering PD workshops, writing for the Bright Ideas blog and working on the PLN. I was a secondary English and History teacher for 8 years in Warrnambool, London and Geelong before joining the library in 2010. I’m also the owner of Ted the Cavoodle, whose picture you might see in several tutorials featured throughout the course (he’s our example student). While I have always loved playing with new technology, it was only when I took part in the Victorian PLN course that I began to realise the important role that social media could play in building learning networks. One of the great parts of my job is that I get to experiment with a range of web tools. I use Evernote and Trello to keep track of my projects and make notes. I subscribe to many websites using Google Reader and save interesting links to my Pocket account for later reading; I’ll get around to looking at them all one day! I love reading longform articles, so my favourite app is Instapaper, which I use to store articles for reading on the train when I’m stuck in the loop with no internet access.

Catherine Hainstock

I’m an Education Services Officer at SLV which means I help deliver programs to students visiting the Library. I also work at Vermont Secondary College as one of their Teacher Librarians. Part of my role there is as a member of the eLearning team and I manage the school’s digital citizenship website, Get eSmart VSC.The best advice I ever received when starting my own learning journey into Web 2.0 tools was from my 15 year-old son. He said, “Don’t worry about it Mum, you can always hit the back button.” (He was so right!) My PLN is core to my professional life and learning.  I feel PLNs are so important that I’ve made it a priority to teach students at school how to develop theirs.

Kelly GardinerImage of Kelly
I’m a journalist and editor by trade, have worked across many different media and also in community development, and shifted to the web in the olden days (1998) to work for a little start-up called ninemsn.com.au.
I’ve been at the State Library of Victoria for six years, first as Web Manager and now as an Online Learning Manager, responsible for online learning tools and courses such as the PLN, Bright Ideas blog and ergo, as well as strategic direction for our young readers’ website inside a dog. In my spare time I write books for kids and young adults and chip away at my PhD.
I use web tools every day in my work, research, study, writing and… well, my whole life. I use Dropbox and Evernote most days, I blog and am on Twitter and facebook far too often, and have recently become hopelessly devoted to Pinterest.

Yen Wong
Image of YenI am a librarian and have worked in public libraries, TAFE, and specialist libraries including the CFA fire library and Vision Australia. Now I’m the Learning Programs Officer at SLV. My role focuses mainly on information literacy programs such as research skills, databases, newspapers, collection based workshops such as maps, genealogy, business, law, statistics, census records, book reviews, health/medicine, research for job seekers, and web searching.
I primarily work with librarians to deliver these programs that are free to the public. Community groups and the post secondary school groups (TAFE, colleges, universities) are also welcome, and can book customised workshops with us.
I am always on the lookout for new emerging teaching/learning/social trends, and for ideas that assist with developing new programs.

Linda Angeloni
I’m an Online Education officer at the State Library of Victoria and began my education career as an English, Italian, French secondary teacher more than a decade ago. By 2003, my love of linguistics and language development led me to become a generalist primary teacher in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, teaching predominately ESL students.
In 2006, I began working at the State Library of Victoria and was part of the team that developed the ergo website and other exhibition related education resources. My work now involves writing and researching content for web based resources, the Bright Ideas blog, social media and the VicPLN.
I’ve just returned from maternity leave after my second child and I am loving being immersed in the edtech world again after a break. Web tools have embedded themselves in education practice while I’ve been away and it’s really exciting to see what people are doing.
Personally, I spend far too much time on Pinterest, Etsy and many, many design blogs. Professionally, tools like Feedly, Buffer and Evernote are at the core of my work.