Help: web conferences

Wikis > Resources & help > Help: web conferences

All of our webinars will be conducted using the free Blackboard Collaborate software. This creates a virtual room where we can chat, see a shared presentation and participate in discussions.

What you’ll need:

• Java  installed on your computer (most computers already have this).
  • It is best to also have a headset with microphone so you can chat during the session (optional – just a cheap one is fine)

The Victoria DEECD has provided a helpful guide to getting started with Blackboard Collaborate. Visit their Getting started support page for links to installing Java, accessing the training room and more.

We have also produced a video showing you the process of using the DEECD page to install Java and accessing the training room. View the video below and make sure you have the DEECD  support page open as you step through the tasks

The day before the session

When you first go to the web conference training area, the Collaborate software will download to your computer. Do this a day or so before the session, so you know it works. You can have a play in the training room – click on the various buttons to see what they do.

The first step when you enter a room is to introduce yourself, and then have a check of your audio settings. For our sessions, staff will be on hand to help you. To familiarise yourself with how it all works – how to text chat, speak with a microphone and give feedback – watch our Blackboard Collaborate video tutorial.

Extra resources:

About Linda Angeloni

I am an Online Education officer at the State Library of Victoria and began my education career as an English, Italian, French secondary teacher more than a decade ago. By 2003, my love of linguistics and language development led me to become a generalist primary teacher in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, teaching predominately ESL students in the mainstream. In 2006, I began working at the State Library of Victoria and was part of the team that developed the ergo website and other exhibition related education resources. My work now involves writing and researching content for web based resources, the Bright Ideas blog, social media and the VicPLN.
Bookmark the permalink.